Organization history of the Southern Branch
In regards to the taking over of Japanese properties in the early days of Taiwan, the "Japanese Property Management Committee" was established in January 1946. This was reorganized to clear out Japanese properties and manage Taiwan's public properties. Taiwan Land Bank's Public Property Substitute Management Department was the competent authority to make a clear account of these Japanese colonial properties. Owing to the Control Yuan seeking an efficient method to adequately execute policies regarding national land, and properly manage the large national properties, the Central was assigned to establish an agency to oversea matters regarding the properties. With the help of the Control Yuan, the National Property Administration was founded on December 12, 1960. The Southern District Office was established in Kaohsiung, governing matters concerning national properties in Kaohsiung City, Kaohsiung County, Tainan City, Tainan County, Chiayi County, Pingtung County and Penghu County. Branch offices were also set up in Chiayi, Tainan, Pingtung and Penghu in order to offer locals better and more convenient services.
To comply with the organizational reform of the Executive Yuan in 2013, the Southern District Office made amendments to rules under the Ministry of Finance Order Tai-Cai-Ren-Zi No. 10100732420 issued on January 4 2013. The Southern District Office, National Property Administration, MOF changed its name to the Southern Region Branch, National Property Administration, MOF. The original "Branches in Chiayi, Tainan, Pingtung and Penghu are now referred to as "Offices", offering better and more convenient assistance to locals in matters in relation to national properties and to enhance service and efficiency. However, due to the increasing business need in the eastern regions in recent years for national land leases, the Taitung Office that was governed by the Northern Branch is now governed by the Southern Branch to improve the business efficiency in such areas - this has come into effect on January 1, 2018 under Order Tai-Cai-Ren-Zi No. 10600643270 issued on August 14, 2017.